No more measuring! Craft layered frames with ease with Mat & Layer Dies
- Read time: 4 minutes
- Written by: Crafters
It's so easy to create sensational stepped and layered frames and apertures for your crafts with the Mat & Layer Dies from Gemini!
Matting and layering paper pieces in a series of slightly smaller sizes to create a dimensional 'stepped' effect requires perfect precision. And these clever creations have taken out all of the hard work!
Each set includes a series of dies, each 0.25" smaller than the last so you can cut accurate mat and layered frames, backgrounds and more - all with no measuring required!
These sets are ideal for beginner crafters who are keen to get to grips with the technique of matting and layering. They're also a great time saving device for more experienced makers!
What is matting and layering?
First things first! The technique of matting and layering is building up pieces of paper or card as a background or frame for an image or embellishments
As you build up the layers the size of paper or card gets very slightly bigger. This creates a raised or 'stepped' effect. Matting and layering is a great way to add dimension and lead the eye to a sentiment, centrepiece or focal point.
How do mat and layer dies work?
These die sets have been designed to create easy and accurate mats and layers for your cardmaking and craft projects.
There are 2 sets in this collection, one perfectly sized to work with 6" x 6" card bases and another sized to work with 5" x 7" card bases.
The sets includes 10 cutting dies. Every die is sized with pinpoint accuracy to create mats and layers with a 0.25” size difference between each.
So you can throw your ruler away, there’s no more guesswork needed to layer up patterned paper, coloured card and more to create beautiful and dimensional effects! You can also take them to the next level to create apertures, frames and much more.
How to use mat and layer dies
These die sets from Gemini have been designed to be easy to use so that anyone can achieve matted and layered effects. Here's a quick and simple guide to get you started:
- Start by choosing the focal point or centrepiece for your papercraft project. This could be a decoupage image, a sentiment, something you have created with stamps or dies, or a pre-printed image.
- Next choose some complementary card or paper to sit your chosen image or sentiment on. Remember, this will sit inside or on top of the smallest mat and layer die you are using so make sure it fits!
- Select some card or paper to layer the image on top of. Something that will contrast with your centrepiece and make it stand out! You can choose as many different shades as you like!
- Choose how many of your Mat & Layer dies to use. If you want to create a dimensional, stepped frame or background that fills your entire card front you can use all 10. But if you want to create a smaller card, or have a bigger gap between each piece you can use fewer
- Create your plate combination and roll each die and coloured cardstock through the die cutting machine
- Use glue tape to layer up your pieces, one on top of the other to create a stepped frame or background. Use foam pads for a 3D effect
- Attach your sentiment, centrepiece image onto the top and you're done!
What kind of effects and cards can I create?
The Gemini Mat & Layer Dies are so versatile! You can use each die to cut out a large background piece to layer. Or cut out the middle to form an aperture for layered frames!
This means you can create beautiful and dimensional aperture cards, shaker cards and frames. And why not create stepped mat & layer effects on gift bags, tags, place settings, boxes and more
We can’t wait to see your makes with the Gemini Mat and Layer Dies! Make sure you share your project photos with us on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion.