How to make a keepsake box with Gemini Interchangeable Scene Dies
- Read time: 3 minutes
- Written by: Crafter's Companion
With its picture perfect layered scene and sweet ribbon carry-handle, this box is perfect for gifts, keepsakes and so much more. Use it to store treasured photographs, sweet treats or as a gift box for someone really special!
And best of all? You don’t need to be a crafting genius to create picture perfect layered designs with the Gemini Interchangeable Scene Die collection. Just follow our easy step-by-step guide to create and customise your own adorable box.
You will need:
- White card
- Coloured card (for the lid)
- Gemini Interchangeable Scene Die Set – Country Cottage
- Patterned paper
- Spectrum Noir Classique Dual-Tip Alcohol Markers
- Gemini Die Cutting Machine
- Scissors or a guillotine
- Crafter’s Companion Glue Tape Pen
- Cut two pieces of white card to measure 9.5″ x 7″. Score at Score down on box base at 0.5″ and 6.5″ then at 4″ across on both pieces and burnish crease lines. Trim to make two sides of your box with a tab to the side as shown.
2. Take the scene die with a tree border from the set, arrange on the larger section of one box side, next to the tab. Follow the instructions with your Gemini machine to die cut the design.
3. Cut four pieces of white card to measure 4″ x 6″. Use each piece of card to lay out the rest of your dimensional scene dies as shown.
4. Die cut each piece and add colour to all of the designs, including the tree aperture.
5. Cut another piece of white card measuring 6″ x 4″. Layer your scene elements up as shown and adhere together.
6. Attach to the front of the box panel with the tree design aperture.
7. Turn the panel over and attach to the blank box panel as shown.
8. Attach the other sides together to build a box shape, fold and adhere together as shown below.
9. Time to make the lid! Cut out a piece of coloured card measuring 7″ x 4″. Score a line 0.5″ in around all four sides.
10. Cut the highlighted notches in each corner, fold down and stick to build your lid.
11. Now we’re going to decorate the rest of the box! Cut out pieces of coloured card 1/4″ smaller than each side of the box. Cut out pieces of patterend paper 1/4″ smaller than the coloured card pieces and attach together to form a matted effect. (You only need to cut out the patterned paper piece for the box lid!)
12. Glue to the sides and lid of your box to decorate.
13. Measure the area around your scene panel and cut out a frame from coloured card with a layer of patterned paper on top. Adhere to the front of your box.
14. Create small holes on either side of your box. Thread ribbon through each side to create a handle.
Gemini Interchangeable Scene Die
s can be used to create beautiful 3D cards and more. We can’t wait to see your makes! So, don’t forget to show us your die-cut creations on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion