How to craft and decorate a gift box
- Read time: 2 minutes
- Written by: Crafters
Give your home made gift boxes an extra-special finishing touch by crafting customised papercraft bows as sweet decorations.
Just follow our easy craft guide to find out how to build and decorate gift boxes with sweet handmade bows. We’ve used the Gemini Festive Build-a-Bow set, which allows you to cut out and fold bows with beautiful die-cut designs in no time at all. All you have to do is choose your colours and patterns and get crafting!
You will need:
- Gemini Festive Build-a-Bow set
- Kraft card
- Multi-purpose card
- Gold card
- Red and green card (for flowers)
- Patterned paper
- Sentiment die
- Flower and foliage dies
- Hot Glue Gun
- Tape pen
- Gemini Die Cutting Machine
How to build a bow:
- Take a piece of card measuring 6.5” x 6.5”.
- Choose a Festive Build-a-Bow die and lay over the top of the card.
- Follow the instructions included with your Gemini Die Cutting Machine to pass the card and die through and cut out.
- Turn the die around and recut another one next to the first as shown.
- Draw around the die cut shape twice. Once in gold and once in Kraft card.
- Sandwich the gold cut-out in between the Kraft card cut-out.
- Curl round each petal of the bow and stick down to the centre of the bow
- Die cut the Festive Build-a-Bow tail shape out of Kraft card. Draw around it in gold, cut out and attach.
How to build a box:
- Take two pieces of card and cut them to 10” x 8”.
- Score down at 1.5” on all four sides.
- Cut notches out of the four corners, fold together and attach to build a box and lid.
- Cut out pieces of patterned paper to measure approximately 1/4″ smaller than each panel of your box and lid. Attach to decorate. You can repeat with more patterned paper 1/4″ smaller again to create a matted and layered effect.
- Use a tape pen to attach the bow tail to the lid of your box.
- Use a hot glue gun to attach the bow to the top of the bow tail
- Die cut some flowers, leaves and pinecones from red and green card for decoration.
- Attach the leaves and flowers to the box lid to decorate.
- Finish the centre of the flowers with a stick-on gem.
- Attach a brad to the centre of the bow to decorate.
- Die cut a sentiment to match the occasion and attach to the box lid.
We can’t wait to see your finished makes! So, don’t forget to show us your creations on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion