How to craft a memory book
- Read time: 5 minutes
- Written by: Crafters
Cherish those treasured moments, souvenirs and special photographs in a handmade memory book! This craft project is the perfect keepsake gift for family, friends and loved ones.
Just follow our simple step-by-step instructions to make your own memory book, using envelopes to create ready-made pockets for tickets, snapshots and more!
We’ve used the Sara Signature Sent with Love box from Crafter’s Companion for this project. This collection is filled with stamps, dies, patterned papers, embellishments, coloured card and envelopes and more. And its soft and timeless colour palette sits sweetly alongside rustic roses, classic love hearts and caring messages – perfect for a sweet and thoughtful memory book!
You will need:
- Sara Signature Sent With Love Box
- Spectrum Noir Water-Reactive Inkpad – Green Topaz
- Spectrum Noir Quick-Dry Inkpad – Smoked Emerald
- Spectrum Noir Translucent Clear Watermark Inkpad
- Spectrum Noir Alcohol-Proof Inkpad – Flagstone
Spectrum Noir TriBlend Markers
- Pale Pink Shades
- Pale Pink Blend
- Light Green Blend
- Multi-Purpose Card
- Collall All-Purpose Glue
- Collall Tacky Glue
- Foam Pads/Tape – 2mm and 3mm Depth
- Hot Glue Gun
- Die cutting machine
Building and decorating the outside of your memory book:
- First, take three of the 5″ x 7″ envelopes from the Sent with Love box.
- Next, add a line of adhesive to the flap of one envelope, use this to attach it to a second envelope.
- Repeat step two to attach a third envelope – trim the flap from the final envelope as shown
4. The envelopes will fold in to create a tri-fold memory book shape. The reverse of the left-hand side envelope will form the front of your memory book.
5. Next, cut a piece of patterned paper from the Sent with Love box to measure 4 1/2″ x 6 1/2″ and ink the edges.
6. Cut a piece of pink card from the Sent with Love box to measure 4 3/4″ x 6 3/4″.
7. Glue the patterned paper to the pink card, taking care not to glue the bottom-right hand corner of the paper so that this can be folded back. Add a dot of glue to the folded-back corner so that it stays in position.
8. Next, take a piece of green card from the Sent with Love box and cut to measure 5″ x 7″. Attach your patterned paper and pink card panel onto the green card.
9. Now, attach your layered panel onto the front of your memory book.
10. Next, cut a strip of patterned paper to measure 6 1/2″ x 1 3/4″.
11. Then, take the 3D Embossing Folder from the Sent with Love box and emboss the patterned paper piece using a die cutting and embossing machine.
12. Use inkpads to highlight the raised hearts pattern on your embossed design.
13. Attach to the front of your memory book.
14. Finally, decorate the front of your memory book with as many of the stamps, dies and embellishments from your Sent with Love box as you like.
Building and decorating the inside of your memory book:
- First, cut three pieces of patterned paper from the Sent with Love box to measure 6 1/2″ x 2 1/8″.
- Next, cut three pieces of pink card to measure 6 3/4″ x 2 3/8″.
- Then, cut three pieces of green card to measure 7″ x 2 5/8″.
- Layer one piece of each together, largest to smallest to create a matted and layered effect. Glue in place.
- Repeat with the remaining sheets until you have three layered panels.
- Now, turn your memory book over and attach one layered panel to the right-hand side of each envelope as shown.
7. Choose stamps and dies from the Sent With Love box and decorate the inside of your memory book in your own style!
8. If you want to create inserts to store inside the envelopes, simply cut the 5” x 7” card blanks from the Sent with Love box in half to create panels of card measuring 5” x 7”.
9. These can then be decorated as desired using the elements from the box and your own photos and memorabilia. Alternatively, items (like receipts, tickets or photos) can simply be slipped inside the three envelopes without the need to mount them onto a piece of card first.
Now you’ve mastered making a memory book, why not customise colours and patterns to make even more for different recipients and occasions? From the holiday of a lifetime to a romantic walk down memory lane, craft something special to impress family and friends.
And, don’t forget, we love to see your finished makes! So, make sure to show us your finished creations on Facebook UK, Facebook USA, Twitter, Instagram UK, Instagram US, Pinterest UK or Pinterest US using the hashtag #crafterscompanion